The more I am using hashtags in my social updates, the more I see the incredible power this tool has. It allows people who are mutually interested in a topic through a keyword, to gather, albeit online, and have conversations.
For small business owners, the hashtags (#) represents an important social media strategy.
Hashtags famously started on Twitter, but now it is used on a variety of social networks, especially on Instagram.
Hashtag: What is it and what can it do for your business?
In social media, a hashtag is a word or phrase proceeded by the hash (#) or pound sign.
In social media age, the hashtag (#) is one of the most powerful tools to instantly connect or link a social media post to a group of others about the same topic in real time.
Marketers, sales people, social media managers and business owners use the hashtag (#) sign or symbol before a relevant keyword or phrase to draw attention and attract people who are interested or searching for such keywords.
Here’s a sample of my Instagram post using several hashtags:
The only way to conquer fear is to leap forward. Full force or one step forward. The only way to be more confident is to win little by little. It’s time to throw caution in the wind and leap forward. Do one step today! Join my Sales Mastery group,link in bio. #homebasedbusiness #confidence #Sunday #womeninbusiness #homebasedbusiness #motivation #mompreneur #businesstips #salesmastery #salestips #ladyboss #inspiration #happy
How to use hashtags for your business
- Own 1-2 hashtags for your business.
- Use hashtags that are clear, easy to remember, make sense, and that relate to your topic and brand.
- Target local audience by using the name of the city. In my case, I use #Toronto
- Use it to find people you want to connect with who are interested in the same topic.
- Piggyback on popular hashtags to increase visibility and followers.
- Use a hashtag to promote your sales special or campaign, such as #FridaySpecial #BlackFriday.
- Lastly, use hashtags strategically and on purpose (not randomly).
Love this post?
Sign up to get future updates, it's FREE!